RIP Gary Arlington, underground comix hero (UPDATED)

(5)
"Gary Arlington and Beloved Comics"

UPDATE: This just in from Ron Turner: "Hello Friends.  There will be a memorial for Gary this coming Tuesday at 11 AM at 225 Berry St. off 4th, very near the Giants ballpark and the Cal Train station.  Hope to see you there.  It is a modern Senior Center where Gary made his home. Bring stories and memories to share."

Just got word from Last Gasp Press founder Ron Turner that comics legend Gary Edson Arlington has passed away at age 75. In 1968, he opened what is considered the first comic book store in the United States, San Francisco Comic Book Company, which galvanized the hotbed Bay Area underground comix scene (and helped house his enormous collection, too).

As Art Spiegelman told the Chronicle in 2012, on the occasion of the publication of "I Am Not of this Planet," a book of Arlington's colorful artwork published by Last Gasp:

"San Francisco was the capitol of comix culture in the '60s and early '70s; and Gary Arlington's hole-in-the-wall shop was, for me, the capitol of San Francisco."

He was truly a fascinating character who supported local comics and art until the end, and influenced pop culture exponentially.

Turner wrote:

"Gary died last night in San Francisco.  He had been living on his own in a nice subsidized  apartment near the ball park.  He had a motorized wheel chair and was out and about in SF.  He had heart and circulatory problems that led to several hospital stays during the last decade.  The comic community will remember Gary as founding the first comic book store in America, on 23rd st. in the Mission. I bought my first underground comic there in 1968.  It was a hangout for all the early underground comic artists and fans.  Services have not been announced as yet."

We'll update this post when we find out about services. Meanwhile, go out to your nearest comics bookstore and buy a bunch of indies in his honor!

Photo by Gabriela Hasbun:

One of Gary's celebrated comics anthologies from 1983:

Clippings and artwork sourced from Larry Rippee and Molly Rea Art.

Comments

I recall I was ready to stop collecting comics when Gary got off his seat and showed me three comics: Detective Comics 431; E-Man 1; and Star Reach. Well each had an impact on me. I still collect, but now I also write for the medium, and Gary's influence reaches in me forever. Thanks

Posted by Guest on Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

Gary was one of the first people to publish me as a young budding artist. I know there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of others like me that he encouraged greatly! -Steve Mad

Posted by Guest on Jan. 19, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Someone opened a comics store one store front away. The guy had the whole city to open up in and opened there. Gary outlasted him.

Posted by guest on Jan. 18, 2014 @ 7:02 am

Gary's comic book shop will always remembered as the place where most of my friends and I got into collecting comics in the early 80's.
The vast and often hard to reach selection comics always brought us back every week to find hidden gems for growing collections!
RIP Gary you will be missed!

Posted by Joey Alvarez on Jan. 17, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

Damn I bought my first comic from him in 1980.
He was cool!

Posted by Guest on Jan. 17, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Related articles

• Triumph of queer comics: Justin Hall wins Lambda, 'Adèle' takes Cannes

• The comic formally known as 'The Iron Chink'

• Get read

SUPER EGO: Great new books on nightlife and music, plus Green Velvet, Cajmere, Fog Rugby, Friends With Benefits, MOM on Mars, more parties

• Also from this author

• Get read

• Lean in

Go out already, why don't you? Magda, Glenn Jackson, Just Be, Julio Bashmore, Outpost, Made in SF, more parties

• Track record

A marathon weekend with Sunset Campout and Up Your Alley Fair. Plus: J.Phlip, Braza!, Too $hort, more parties